Swim Lessons for Children
Learn to Swim Program for Children
The American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim program offers a unique six-level instructional approach that has successfully been teaching people (from children to adults!) how to swim since 1914. Our instructors are trained and certified by the American Red Cross, so swimmers of all ages and abilities are in good hands.
There are six levels of training in the Learn to Swim Program
1. Introduction to Water Skills - Getting in, getting wet and going under.
2. Fundamental Aquatic Skills - Floating and getting around in the water for short distances.
3. Stroke Development - The fundamentals of front crawl and back crawl, and a little bit of butterfly.
4. Stroke Improvement - Breaststroke, elementary backstroke, the whole butterfly. After this you're ready for Swim Team!
5. Stroke Refinement - Sidestroke, racing starts and turns, endurance swimming. Now you're not just doing strokes, you're doing them well.
6. Swimming and Skill Proficiency - Classes that challenge both children and adults, and can be used to prepare you for Lifeguarding or training to be a swim instructor.
Swim Lesson fees: $100/JCC Members; $140/Guests
The prerequisite for each level is the successful demonstration of the skills from the preceding level, except for Level 1, which has no prerequisite.
Each level of Learn-to-Swim includes training in basic water safety and helping others in an emergency. Click here to learn more about what is included in each level of the Learn to Swim Program.